I weighed 200 pounds.

Hey Vulnerabites! Just like that… I saw the numbers rolling onward and upward…157…165…174… 181… What the ?#$%@^ Ok, so I never actually hit 200lbs… but I was well on my way. This was the heaviest I had been in my entire life! (I’m 5’7 if that helps you get a better picture). Look! I grew up with middle school boys telling me, “You’re just too skinny.” I don’t know if it was their way of ‘helping me out’ by stating the obvious… but all it did was shove my own insecurity back into my face. It left me feeling like I wasn’t curvy enough to be attractive.

I spent middle school, stuffing my bra with tissue and forcefully walking with an arch in my back … it was my attempt to self-create those feminine curves I knew the boys wanted. And now here I am in my adult life, with more curves than I need and O.V.E.R.W.E.I.G.H.T! Why can’t I just be great in this life? lol This extra ‘fullness’ I walk around with brings a different kind of insecurity — I hate that ‘piece of meat’ stare … Ladies, you know what I’m talking about! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

In any case… I’ve spent the last year working through the ‘almost’ 30lbs that I put on… and let me say that losing weight is hard… but keeping it off is harder!!!

For the first time in my life, I finally understand both sides of the struggle… Being under AND over weight…I get it ladies. Trust Me!

My most recent memories have me empathizing with my overweight sistahs. That slow painful process of my clothes not fitting like they used to, avoiding the mirror after my showers and the dreaded task of shopping! Ugh!!! Abercrombie & Fitch kills me with those teenage sizes in the women’s section! I was once wearing  a 2/4, I was now hoping I could find a 12 to tuck these hips away! I didn’t want this to be my new life… so I put in work… and I’m STILL putting in work.

So,  here’s what I can offer you from my new lifestyle to “stay snatched”…

1. Clean. Clean. Clean. I am serious about what I put in my mouth! 150 calories from flaming hot cheetos, is NOT the same as 150 calories from snacking on apples and peanut butter. I’ve cut down on eating out and I’m  more intentional with prepping my meals. My formula is simple … Carb + Protein + Veggies = Nutritious Meal. I’m also mindful with my ‘fast food’ options… opting for the $11.36 at Panera Bread instead of  the 4 for $4 deal at Wendy’s. But every now and then, a sister just wants some crispy chicken nuggets! lol
  2. Count. Count. Count. I know it sucks… but counting calories has been the most effective tool to getting me back  in “snatched status.” More than being this annoying tedious thing I have to do every day, it makes me accountable for what I put in my mouth and it forces me to control my portions! I use the Fitness Pal app, but there are tons of calorie counting apps to choose from.
IMG_1133 copy
I started here… (Summer 2015)

3. Cone. Cone. Cone. Yes! I’m that girl who goes to Trader Joes to buy the “cone in your hand” ice cream… and literally, it’s an ice cream cone that fits in the palm of my hand and it’s just 70 calories, compared to the average 200calories of a McDonalds ice cream cone. If I’m going to have sweets, I try to go for the bite size packs. It cures the craving, all while helping me control my portions. Do I always get it right? Of course not, but I don’t wallow in guilt, I just get back on track.

b35d40e2-5f39-44c2-b09e-3ea7d3bf5bc8
Almost 200lbs here… (Summer 2016)

4. Cardio. Cardio. Cardio. I haven’t found a shortcut around this one, but if you do… inbox me please. Running is like my least favorite exercise… seriously. I don’t like it, but because it helped me chip away at those 30lbs, (and KEEP it off) I do it…. faithfully… alongside my weight training. (Every now and then I take a spinning class for some cardio variety.) Another simple formula … 20 minute cardio + 40 minute weight training = Good Workout. I ran my first 5k race in May of this year. Thank You for running with me Sarah!!!

fullsizeoutput_293b
My first 5k race 🙂

5. Consistent. Consistent. Consistent. It was easy for me to commit the first week … but 3 weeks in, I was over it. The age old question of, “How do I stay consistent?” — I don’t have another answer other than to Nike that bad boy….JUST DO IT. I don’t follow my feelings… I’m at the gym by 5am and I get it over with!

So 52 weeks later… I’ve lost AND am keeping off the chunky monkey who wants to hibernate in these hips.

fullsizeoutput_28f5.jpeg
And today I’m here…Summer 2017

PS. Oh and a gentle reminder to subscribe  🙂

1. jaylining says:

You look BOMB in all the pics but I definitely am on my weight loss journey out of the 180s too! *sigh* its coming!

1. Aaaww you’re too kind… Thank you boo! Girl… It ain’t easy… Getting it off is one thing, but KEEPING it off is another… but with your new ‘plant-based’ eating, I am sure you’ll get there very very soon!

2. racpanos says:

you make me smile just looking at your photos 🙂

1. Aawww thank you 😊

3. You look great Hun! I also snack on fruits (bananas and apples are my sweets!!) I am literally addicted to bananas! X I think the junk food and secret eating has a lot to do with putting on weight! Obv like you said we also got to keep moving!! Xx

1. Thanks honey! I’m really trying! Lol Fruits are a GOOD thing… and bananas don’t sound like a bad thing to be addicted to… lol … Hope your little girl picks up your love of fruits! 💋

4. rhodeb says:

Well done, Mac!!!! Such wonderful & encouraging tips! This is such a relatable topic! Those stress hormones are no joke! I have found meal-prepping to be incredibly helpful as well! AND reading all nutrition labels! The amount of salt & sugar in foods today is unnecessary & outrageous! Having just moved and with a new job, the challenge is in finding my rhythm again…but I’m pressin’ on! You look AH-MAZING!!! Definitely feeling encouraged to get my groove back! 😉 Proud of you, lady!!!

1. I’m indeed seeing JUST how relatable it is…lol. Meal-Prepping is LIFE!!!! Yes it is!! Way to go girl! Oohh yes, the busy-ness can slide us right into McDonalds drive through if we’re not paying attention…lol. Glad you’re encouraged ma’am, that’s always my hope! Muah!

5. Ibsen says:

Congratulations on your accomplishments! I think it’s an area many of us have dealt with at one point or another. I’m in the non-resistant phase of attempting to get some physical activity going (I’m starting with walking 2x a week for at least 20 minutes. I’ve been doing zero for a few years so I think it’s a start 😉 Need your prayers…

1. Yes! Yes! Yes! We are all dealing with this … at least, I think so…lol … WWWOOOOHHHHOOOOO!!!! So proud of you for getting started!!! You go girl! Slow & Steady! Hahaha… You don’t need prayers… Just start walking! lol You got this!

6. KayLuv says:

Lady! You look great, and I’m so… proud of you! Lol, as you already know, I’m on the other side of the fence. I’ve been skinny and have been trying to gain wait my whole… life! For a long time I struggled with wait insecurity because I thought men love women with curves, and let’s just say I’m curve challenged… lol.
    Now a little older and wiser, I understand that there’s NO “perfect size”, and that guys and girls have their own body preference. So I hit the gym to stay fit and healthy for ME. I’m all about team snatch my sexy, because I want live a long and healthy life.
    Now, about staying consistent… the struggle is real!

1. AAaaww thanks Kay! Yyyeess… I’ve been on that side almost my entire life! It’s only in college that meat started to stick to my bones, so I get it… Trust me! Yep! Everyone has their own preference! Yes! We gotta do this temple maintenance for US!!! Now, about that consistency of yours …lol … #Nike

7. Sasainspires says:

My fitness journey is the story of my life right now!! But the struggle is too real! This blogpost is definitely an encouragement . A few months ago I weighed in at 179lbs and was ready to fight somebody! This struggle with weightloss is an hourly battle for me but in addition to each point you made I also tell myself to have fun! Working out is like recess for adults and the gym (whatever that may be) is our playground!

I”m so proud of you for running that day and for the continued inspiration! I’m still working on snatching this waist! I’ve lost 2 lbs so far!

1. Hahahaaa!!!! Girl!!! I know the feeling! Clearly! Yyeesss!!!! Have fun! #RecessForAdults 😂😂😂 I do take a class every now and then to keep it ‘light’ when I REALLY DONT FEEL LIKE IT… and that helps!

Congratulations on your 2lbs!!!! You go girl!!! I am cheering you on! As much as you love running, that waist will be snatched in no time! 😆

1. Sasainspires says:

Thanks! #snatchingseason

2. #2 says:

Sasainspires, I couldn’t agree more! Once I took away the “stress” of working out and incorporated more “fun”, my mindset completely shifted and gave me a more positive outlook about my fitness journey.

1. More Fun!!! YYyaaayyy! Glad to hear this!

2. Sasainspires says:

It’s the only way I’ll get out there on those rough days! And exercise should help us cope with the stress not add to it!

8. Keshia (Kye Medley) Goodman says:

I completely understand. I gained a few lbs myself and my clothes began to fit weird. I took a weight gain after my mom passed. That put me in a weird space. But now I am doing better with eating and working out. Actually, it wasn’t so much of me eating badly, because I ate pretty well, it was just how much I ate, lol, and not working out consistently. However, it is hard to stay on track, but I believe it’s a mental thing, and having an accountability partner and/or goals are also great options to help you push through. You look great Macalanious!

1. Yyyeesss!!!! It was HOW MUCH I ate too. Portion control is real! 👀Yes… setting fitness goals is one of the things that helped me. Every month I had a goal weight! And as for accountability partner, Bae is really good about letting me know when back is getting jiggily … lol. 😂 Thank You Little One! 🙈💋

This post got close to home because I have been big my entire life. The smallest size I’ve ever been was for a hot second in high school.

I totally appreciate the fact that this post is clear about how hard it is to lose and keep weight off. Factor in a ridiculous schedule, stress and the beast those stress hormones are, and you’re in trouble.

The commitment is the key, so thank you for this and the push to be intentional in my self-care.

1. Hey Joelle! Oh my! It is so hard! This experience has helped me empathize with overweight women in a way that I NEVER COULD BEFORE! It is NOT EASY …. it’s like a struggle EVERY DAY to make the better choice. I think it’s even harder in the north east, because summer time means junk food and BBQs and winter time means snow storms and junk food. So it’s like a lose lose …. lol

So glad you were able to take something from my experience! That’s my heart for sharing!

10. hey...is that me? says:

Favourited! Well done you. You look amazing. Gonna try all (some) of that so I can be ready for Summer 2018 😘

1. Girl! In my Rihanna voice … Work, work, work — WORK! It’s not overnight…. slow and steady! Keep me in the loop on your journey! Tag me in your post about it! I can’t wait 🙂