Hey Vulnerabites! Just like that… I saw the numbers rolling onward and upward…157…165…174… 181… What the ?#$%@^ Ok, so I never actually hit 200lbs… but I was well on my way. This was the heaviest I had been in my entire life! (I’m 5’7 if that helps you get a better picture). Look! I grew up with middle school boys telling me, “You’re just too skinny.” I don’t know if it was their way of ‘helping me out’ by stating the obvious… but all it did was shove my own insecurity back into my face. It left me feeling like I wasn’t curvy enough to be attractive.
I spent middle school, stuffing my bra with tissue and forcefully walking with an arch in my back … it was my attempt to self-create those feminine curves I knew the boys wanted. And now here I am in my adult life, with more curves than I need and O.V.E.R.W.E.I.G.H.T! Why can’t I just be great in this life? lol This extra ‘fullness’ I walk around with brings a different kind of insecurity — I hate that ‘piece of meat’ stare … Ladies, you know what I’m talking about! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!
In any case… I’ve spent the last year working through the ‘almost’ 30lbs that I put on… and let me say that losing weight is hard… but keeping it off is harder!!!
For the first time in my life, I finally understand both sides of the struggle… Being under AND over weight…I get it ladies. Trust Me!
My most recent memories have me empathizing with my overweight sistahs. That slow painful process of my clothes not fitting like they used to, avoiding the mirror after my showers and the dreaded task of shopping! Ugh!!! Abercrombie & Fitch kills me with those teenage sizes in the women’s section! I was once wearing a 2/4, I was now hoping I could find a 12 to tuck these hips away! I didn’t want this to be my new life… so I put in work… and I’m STILL putting in work.
So, here’s what I can offer you from my new lifestyle to “stay snatched”…
- Clean. Clean. Clean. I am serious about what I put in my mouth! 150 calories from flaming hot cheetos, is NOT the same as 150 calories from snacking on apples and peanut butter. I’ve cut down on eating out and I’m more intentional with prepping my meals. My formula is simple … Carb + Protein + Veggies = Nutritious Meal. I’m also mindful with my ‘fast food’ options… opting for the $11.36 at Panera Bread instead of the 4 for $4 deal at Wendy’s. But every now and then, a sister just wants some crispy chicken nuggets! lol
- Count. Count. Count. I know it sucks… but counting calories has been the most effective tool to getting me back in “snatched status.” More than being this annoying tedious thing I have to do every day, it makes me accountable for what I put in my mouth and it forces me to control my portions! I use the Fitness Pal app, but there are tons of calorie counting apps to choose from.
3. Cone. Cone. Cone. Yes! I’m that girl who goes to Trader Joes to buy the “cone in your hand” ice cream… and literally, it’s an ice cream cone that fits in the palm of my hand and it’s just 70 calories, compared to the average 200calories of a McDonalds ice cream cone. If I’m going to have sweets, I try to go for the bite size packs. It cures the craving, all while helping me control my portions. Do I always get it right? Of course not, but I don’t wallow in guilt, I just get back on track.
4. Cardio. Cardio. Cardio. I haven’t found a shortcut around this one, but if you do… inbox me please. Running is like my least favorite exercise… seriously. I don’t like it, but because it helped me chip away at those 30lbs, (and KEEP it off) I do it…. faithfully… alongside my weight training. (Every now and then I take a spinning class for some cardio variety.) Another simple formula … 20 minute cardio + 40 minute weight training = Good Workout. I ran my first 5k race in May of this year. Thank You for running with me Sarah!!!
5. Consistent. Consistent. Consistent. It was easy for me to commit the first week … but 3 weeks in, I was over it. The age old question of, “How do I stay consistent?” — I don’t have another answer other than to Nike that bad boy….JUST DO IT. I don’t follow my feelings… I’m at the gym by 5am and I get it over with!
So 52 weeks later… I’ve lost AND am keeping off the chunky monkey who wants to hibernate in these hips.
The Naked Writer
PS. Oh and a gentle reminder to subscribe 🙂